A Journey From A House To A Home...

Tuesday, 9 October 2012

Sorry For Being So Slack...!

But my camera was broken, the computer has been playing up and...well...life has just been SO darned busy! I'm sure that I am not the only one who has been caught up with Autumn madness? It started with the return to school for my twins, and a change to senior school for my son. All of which has added up to a change of pace to warp speed (and a ridiculous amount of homework!). Also, some exciting news - I've bitten the bullet and committed to taking on a (VERY small) unit at a local vintage and decorative antiques emporium, that just happens to be opening up 5 minutes from my house!

You know when it feels like the planets have merged and are trying to tell you something - I think that it's called serendipity? Well, for many years now, and particularly since starting my blog, I have admired and been inspired by the creativity and industrious nature of my fellow bloggers and those who have had the courage (and talent) to take their dream from wistful kitchen table imaginings, to the next level (Yes, that's you, the amazing Sharon at La Vie En Rose, wonderful Louise at Love & Lilac, and also, the gorgeous Sharon at My French Country Home and on a far grander scale, the fabulous Loi at Tone on Tone - although, the latter was probably not so much 'kitchen table musings' as simply being born to design, create and sell the ultimate in beautiful spaces and things!)

I've been visiting flea markets, shabby chic vintage and antique shops for years now, and have always looked wistfully and longingly at the owners who seem to be combining their love of decorative antiques with an actual 'job'. For far too long, it has seemed like a frivolous fantasy that would never be within my reach - after all, surely people need to be 'trained' to sell' pretty things - and am I not simply one of those people who is just 'trained' to buy' them?

Well, with a growing hoard of painted fripperies, cut glass glories and faded florals taking over every available nook and cranny, and a shrinking number of rooms to place them in, it was with slight reluctance and resignation that my husband pointed out the sign for a 'soon-to-be-opening' barn that promised the delights of "shabby chic to antique", not five minutes from my front door!

I felt that familiar pang of excitement at the thought of discovering new treasures (and SO close to home) coupled with the also familiar pang of "lucky him or her, to be opening such a lovely sounding shop!". So you can imagine the frisson of excitement, when on closer inspection of the sign, I read that in addition to a shabby chic shopping experience of swoon inducing proportions, it said that there would also be 'Spaces To Let"!

Well - how could I not take advantage of that? Call me impulsive (or just plain crazy) but before I knew it, I was standing there discussing the ins and outs with the owner and committing to a small unit under the name of "HILL HOUSE VINTAGE" - a name that had been playing around in my subconscious for a while, and is in fact already my twitter name. It took me all of 5 minutes to decide to go for it, and so - as with everything in my life at the moment, it's 0-90mph in less time than it takes to say "What on EARTH have I done!?".

Perhaps this is the beginning of a great adventure and a new chapter of my life? I've certainly been searching for a new niche since leaving London and my career in the fashion industry - one which will compliment being at home with the children whilst 'doing-up' Hill House. Ah well...only time will tell, but hopefully, you'll all come along with me for the ride - wish me luck!

Have a great day!

p.s. I'll be back with news of my gorgeous lamps soon, and also a giveaway to celebrate my blog approaching nearly 300 followers - watch this space!

All images from Hill House Diaries Blog.

30 comments:

  1. So exciting, Paula! It sounds like the perfect fit for you and I know you will do brilliantly. Have fun and let's see some photos of your space when you have it set up!
    xo,
    Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Paula

    Congratulations. This is all so exciting. I look forward to reading about the success of HILL HOUSE VINTAGE. I have no doubt you will meet with success.
    This is all very exciting!!

    Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW and well done in equal measure - it is always best to follow your heart and dreams. I am quite sure it will be raving success and a joy for you too.
    I wish you all the best
    Best wishes
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  4. GOOD MORNING PAULA!

    It is so good to see you back in the saddle! And look at your cupboard, and the bedroom...and the rest of the house! Fabulous my dear. Oh, this is indeed a great time of year to nestle in our nests and your place looks so cozy!

    I got a new camera and as far as TIME goes to learn how to use it properly, well, there is no time!

    Have a splendid day! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done Paula, this sounds so exciting! I love the name, people will remember it so easily. Do you think you'll be open in time for Christmas?
    Sharon
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. SO EXCITING!!! And well done you for biting the bullet, cannot wait to read more about this new adventure :)

    And yes, homework....a huge increase this year, what's that all about?! It's the most talked about issue at school right now, instead of congratulating ourselves on getting through the week at school, my friends & I are celebrating getting through the mountain of homework at week-ends!! I did suggest champagne instead of our usual coffee yesterday morning ;)

    Hope Yr6 is going well for you...so far so good for us!! XX

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you will do very well Paula, if you can transfere the creativity you have within your lovely home, into a vintage venue you will be romping away! Good luck, although I don't think you'll need it, you have talent! Ada :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What wonderful news, Paula!

    I think that you have made an excellent decision and this new venture is bound to be a success. It's clear that your enthusiasm, talent, knowledge, sense of style and adventure will be creating something unique.

    Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous news Paula!
    I'm certain you'll have a great success with your vintage flair...Love the name, and looking forward to reading about your exploits :o)
    Thanks for your sweet visits and lovely comments..
    Rose H
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Paula,
    I'm green with envy!! Lucky Norfolk natives!!
    You are going to be an amazing success, you have such a good eye.
    Good luck, and look forward to hearing all about it. (You aren't going to stop blogging are you?)
    Have a lovely week,
    Liz x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whoop whoop! Oh I'm unbelievably excited for you Paula! You're going to have such fun. Can't wait to hear more :-)

    Such a shame you couldn't have made the bloggers tea - we really wished you were there!

    Louise x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yaaay! Congratulations. Can't wait to read about your journey. How exciting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What exciting news, congratulations !
    Thanks for visiting my blog and your lovely comment, nice to meet you too !
    Looking forward to read more ...
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  14. Paula, this is so exciting!Congratulations!You will have success, I am sure!!
    xx
    Greet
    PS Love the pictures of your home here!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow Paula! How exciting ... love your pictures ... good luck with your new venture, it will be fabulous!

    Love Claire xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's great news! One of the things about having twins, is the huge gap they leave in your life when they start school. The house feels so quiet! I can't wait to watch you get going with your newest adventure!

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations Paula...you have such a great eye I am sure you will meet with great success!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh how exciting!! I'm so thrilled for you!! I know you will do GREAT!! Beautiful photos too:-). Happy Wednesday my lovely friend. XX

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi there -- i just found your blog, but wanted to say CONGRATS!! This is so exciting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear Paula ~
    I am incredibly happy!! :) Very, very exciting news! I love my antiques / retail biz, and know you will love yours, too. Can't wait to see photos of Hill House Vintage.....do share when you've settled. Awesome name, btw! Many congratulations my friend.
    xoxo
    Loi

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wishing you masses of good luck with your new endeavour :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. well that is fabulously exciting! Good for you! I wish you much luck and success with your new venture.

    Have a wonderfule weekend.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations Paula!!! So good to hear you took the step. I know exactly how it feels. I hope your unit will be very successful! Please show us some photo's on your blog soon :-).

    The photographs of your interior look lovely. If your stall will look like this I have no doubt you will get lots of customers!

    Have a Happy Sunday!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Paula, Paula, Paula,I am almost beside myself with excitement for you!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! Oh I wish I could be over with you now to give you a great BIG HUG!!! YOU are amazing! If it hadn't been for you I might not be standing here in my new shop! I wish you all the happiness and success in the world, I just know you're shop will be AMAZING - full of deliciousness! and to think that it's just on your doorstep - it is MEANT TO BE!!!!!! It will be so handy for you with the children. I cannot WAIT to see all the pics and share your exciting journey with you! I'm actually teary - I would wish you luck but you don't need it - you are talented, have a great eye and with your great sense of humour you will have your customers coming back for more!!!

    Lots and lots of love,

    Sharon
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great news Paula. I'm so happy to hear the progress of you and others I've discovered in my recent move to the country. Can't wait to hear how it all goes. I'm still commuting to work in the big city right now but hoping in a few years to settle in to something very similar. We were recently at a local 'general store' from 1850ish which carries some fine foods and local products and I was speculating how half their store is virtually empty and maybe I could let it out and do something with it myself. I'm so inspired by you, your home etc. I'll be watching. Best of luck!! Minda

    ReplyDelete
  26. PAULA DEAR!!

    Hey, nice to see you today! Thank you for viewing some of my art at Tina's blog! She is just so kind and so are you, to comment! Well, I truly enjoy creating in different ways, but for me 3D pieces are what I love, combined with music, movement and magic to stir the mind and emotions. Ahhh, now to find somewhere to do all of that! Maybe at my local theatre?

    ENJOY YOUR BEAUTIFUL HOME!! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  27. You did absolutely the right thing! Congratulations from all my heart! YOu are right: How could you not have taken the advantage of it? It would have been stupid and silly not to grab it! It will work - I know it as I can see your blog which is fantastic and very inspiring! My fingers and toes are crossed and I am looking forward to seeing more! Very well done! Christa

    ReplyDelete
  28. How amazingly exciting Paula. It sounds absolutely perfect. You'll have a ball and if you can shop then you can sell, you've got it in the bag:) x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Brilliant news! You'll be fab. Wishing you well.x

    ReplyDelete
  30. Really great news... you have exceptionally good taste .. so I know it will be a huge success. It's also about the impact we have in the environment around us, and vintage is great for this.

    ReplyDelete